Chapel History

Pages in this section

The origins of the Chapel are obscure and have been the subject of much scholarly conjecture. The earliest hard facts are that sometime between 1090 and 1100 a deed of gift was made by Walter Hosat, granting the Chapel of “the Blessed Mary Magdalene at Holeweye” to the Abbey Church of St Peter, Bath; and that around the end of the twelth century a small hospital for lepers was founded close to the Chapel and also consigned to the care of the Abbey’s monks.

The Chapel came under the remit of Bath Municipal Charities, and hence St John’s Hospital, in 1894 and has remained so ever since.

Comments are closed.